The following handwritten minutes are the earliest beginnings of what is now the GFWC Woman’s Club of Deerfield Beach, Inc.:

“On March 1, 1917 the ladies of Deerfield met at the Australian Hotel for the purpose of organizing a Home Demonstration Club.

Mrs. Bryan presided over the meeting and the following officers were elected:
          Mrs. D.R. Johnson, Pres.
          Mrs. Geo. Carlton, Vice Pres.
          Mrs. J. D. Butler, Sec.  & Treas.
A dues of ten cents a month is to be paid by each member.  The second Thursday of each month was appointed as regular meeting day.  Program for April: Meats and cornbread.
The meeting adjourned to meet the second Thursday in April.
          Eliza Blount, Sec.”
A handwritten roster included twenty-one members.
Mrs. J.D. Turner began the organization of our club as we know it in 1919.  Mrs. George Carlton was president.  The club name was The Bluebirds.  Its goal was to provide the children of Deerfield Beach with a physical exam, establish a Girl’s Club, and plant shrubs and trees to honor special people and beautify the city.


1922: Assisted the Elementary School in setting up a library.

1925: Established a small public library consisting of seventy donated books in the home of Mrs. Lee Craig.  The library grew and then met in a classroom in the elementary school.  It then became The Percy White Library located today on Hillsboro Blvd.
1926: The Woman’s Club of Deerfield Beach was first incorporated.

1953: The club grew and prospered until it joined the General Federated Women’s Clubs/Florida Federated Women’s Clubs continuing to meet in private homes of members, then at the American Legion Hall after WWII.

1954: With seventeen members land was purchased and many fundraisers were held to build a clubhouse and pay the bills.  The treasury had $271.44.  The women also worked on a special project to help a leper colony in Louisiana, purchase a piano and silverware.

1957: February 24, about 125 members and friends attended a dedication service delivered by Reverend Rowe of the Deerfield Beach Baptist Church.  Mrs. C.M. Moseley, President, placed a copper box in the cornerstone of the clubhouse containing newspapers, membership and officer’s roster, names of the architect, contractor, and a complete history of the club. Prominent citizens, Ethel Jones and the Butler family were present.

1966: The Woman’s Club of Deerfield Beach was reincorporated and authorized by membership under the laws of the State of Florida as a not- or-profit organization. (501-c3)

1976: The Deerfield Beach Junior Woman’s Club was incorporated. A two-year project for our country’s Bicentennial Celebration included a bronze plaque and coral monument placed on the historical site where Sullivan Park is located on the Intra-coastal Waterway. 


The GFWC Woman’s Club of Deerfield Beach members volunteer; promote self-improvement, education, charity, and civic involvement.  Members generously use their talents, leadership skills, and a hard work ethic to make positive impact locally, in our state & country, and around the globe. Programs and projects center on our six departments: Arts, Conservation, Education, Home Life, International Outreach, and Public Issues. 
The Educational Endowment Scholarship Fund (E.E.S.F.) provides graduating seniors from Deerfield Beach with funds to further their education.  Donations to various charities are made with the approval of the general membership. The club participates in events held in the city such as Founders’ Day Parade, Relay for Life (sponsor for Survivor Activities), Parks, Beach, & Ocean Clean-ups, and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce.  Some other projects include: Hacienda Girls Ranch (Children’s’ Home Society), Women in Distress of Broward County, Bit-Bit-Horse Therapy, Pinwheels for Prevention (Domestic Violence Awareness), The Salvation Army, Percy White Library, and the Historical Society.


   GFWC Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs, “Community Improvement through Volunteer Service.”Founded in February 21, 1895 and  admitted into the Federation of Women’s Clubs January 25, 1898 As a member of this organization you will have the opportunity to work with women on an international, state, and local basis serving the needs of your community.  By joining this group, you become a member of the oldest and one of the world’s largest women’s volunteer organizations with over 100,000 members affiliated in every state and more than a dozen countries, the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC). The program areas include the Arts, Education, Conservation, Home Life Issues, Public Issues, and International Outreach. Signature projects include Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention and special projects to protect and promote the well being of children. 


1868:  Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist, was denied access to event with Charles Dickens, formed a club for women.

1890:  Sixty-three women’s clubs convene in New York City to form the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.

1901:  GFWC designates the Federation to maintain a headquarters in Washington, D.C.

1906:  First chief of the Pure Food Bureau attributes the passing of the bill to GFWC
under the leadership of Alice Lakey.

1921:  Formation of the GFWC Indian Welfare Committee to improve education and health facilities on reservations and preserve Native American culture.

1922:  Purchase of Headquarters at 1734 N. Street NW in Washington, D.C.

1925: GFWC nationwide survey of American homes that leads to the inclusion of homemaker as an occupation on the 1930 census.

1930’s: Helps establish 474 free public libraries and 4, 655 traveling libraries.  Today
officially recognized with founding 75% of all U.S. public libraries.

1942:  GFWC Buy a Bomber, WWII, raised $154,459,132 selling war bonds-enough money to purchase 431 planes.

1945:  One of five women’s organizations chosen to participate in the conference to form the U.N.

1961:  Advocating child safety over one years, resulted in the installation of more than one million seat belts in motor vehicles.

1984: Establishes the Women’s History and Resource Center.

1997: GFWC members raise and donate $13.5 million to public libraries and public school libraries in the U.S.

2004: GFWC members contribute $180,000 to purchase a fully equipped NY City Fire Department ambulance in response to September 11 terrorist attacks.

2012:  The inaugural Success for Survivors scholarships are awarded to victims of intimate partner abuse.